Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Telstra HTC Touch Diamond ROM Update Available

Just a quick note regarding the new HTC Touch Diamond update available for Telstra TD's. You can download the update from the HTC AU site here : HTC Touch Diamond ROM Upgrade (for Telstra Network Customers). It's dated 6/5/2009, and upgrades the ROM to version 2.07.841.2. You've got to enter in your serial number (under the battery) before you can download the ROM, as the website checks that the SN matches their list of official Telstra TD's. IE, if you don't have a Telstra-bought TD, the website won't give you the download.

I do, however, have a Telstra-branded-and-supplied TD, so have downloaded the files and updated my TD this morning. Happy to say that everything went very well. The download is 100Mb, so be ready for that, but otherwise it's very straightforward. The re-flash will completely erase anything on the main memory of the phone, but it leave the integrated 4Gb "Internal Memory" partition alone. So backup any CAB files or ring tones to that (or to your PC) before you start. The flash process takes about 10 mins.

Also, note that the update also removes any pre-existing ActiveSync partnerships, emails, anything - it's just like formatting your PC and starting from scratch. For me, that's not so much of an issue, since I just re-created the partnership with my Exchange server account via Windows Mobile Device Manager on my laptop after the update, and it automatically synced all my contacts, calendar and email back onto the phone. Love that. However, I've only just realised that all my SMS's are now gone though, which kinda sucks. Didn't even think about that. Bugger.

First impressions, however, are very positive. It's certainly much quicker to use, and that's with basically standard settings. Previously I had used both Advanced Config and TD3D Config to implement a number of hacks to boost performance and battery life. The new ROM is easily faster than it was, and I've not yet done any performance tuning to it. I plan to use it as-is for a couple of weeks, then get stuck in under the hood, and see if I can wrangle any additional performance and battery life out of it. I've been particularly un-impressed with the battery life over late, so we'll see if the new ROM addresses that at all.

The standout change, however, seems to be with the media player. The HTC media player in TouchFlow 3D always had problems picking up the Album Art associated with mp3's that were synced to the device. There was a hack to get around it, but it was an ugly, filthy hack that took a lot of time. it worked, but it wasn't nice. Since flashing the new ROM though, my existing mp3's (on the internal memory card) all picked up their album art, and everything looks pretty! So big kudos to HTC for fixing that - it was one thing that really took a lot of the polish off TF3D. Now that it's fixed, it's perfect.


It's also been a good chance to go over my list of "essential apps" for the phone. What I've re-installed this morning:
  • Advanced Config Tool 3.3 - Very handy customising tool - heaps of options to tinker with WinMo and TF3D. You will need the DotNet Compact Framework 3.5 to make this work. It's a PC download that you install to your PC with the mobile connected. It'll install the CF to the PC, then also push an install out to the attached mobile.
  • Black Carbon theme with dialer - Just a theme, but it's well done, a bit different from standard, and very easy to install
  • Diamond TF3D Config - Like Advanced Config, but with more TF3D-specific functions. Ability to re-oder the tabs along the TF3D ribbon, which is great as I use the weather tab a lot, and like to be able to move it so it's easy to get to from the main Home screen
  • Diamond Slide-To-Answer patch - Brings the Touch HD's fabulous slide-to-answer function to the Diamond. Once you've used this, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. NOTE - On a tip-off from Scotty (who has the same phone, and upgraded his last week), I've discovered that you don't need this - the new ROM includes it as standard! Awesome!
  • Google Maps - Can use the phone's integrated GPS hardware - very handy! Saved our bacon when we were in Japan ealier this year!
  • Microsoft Recite - Very tricky. You can record voice notes, and then search then by simply saying a key word. Works brilliantly. Haven't used it enough to make it as essential part of my day yet, but I feel it could get that way.
  • OneNote Mobile - Because I've got OneNote on my laptop, it automatically installs the mobile client onto the phone (and is the only way to get the client, BTW). I've not really used it yet, but have been using OneNote on the laptop more and more, and have been finding it really very useful. The shared notebooks in particular are awesome. So I'm looking forward to trying out the Mobile client as well.
  • PHM Regedit - Like it says - it's a registry editor for WinMo. Very handy for tinkering. This is my favourite regeditor - very easy to use and very powerful.
  • TD Cam Silencer (AU) (With the accompanying sdkcerts.cab) - Telstra have, in their infinite wisdom, locked their ROM so that you can't change the standard camera focussing and snapshot sound. It's an obnoxious noise, and it belts out at max volume. I guess they're wanting to cut down on people taking photos without others knowledge. However, for me, it's just terrible and renders the camera unusable. None of my other cameras do this, so I don't see why my phone should either. Thankfully a helpful soul on the XDA-Developers forum came to my rescue with a CAB install to remove the sound. Works a treat, and is easily the first thing I install now. You'll need to sign up to XDA Devs be able to download the files, but once you're there, you'll find a lot of other indispensable stuff anyway.
  • Disable SMS Conversation Mode - Windows mobile 6.1 devices default to a SMS Chat mode when reading and replying to SMS messages. I find it terribly annoying and hard to use. Luckily, there's a quick and easy way to disable it and set it back to how SMS messages should work! It's one little reg hack, so you will have needed to install the reg editor beforehand.
And that's about it! I've moved my standard ringtone back in and set that up, so I'll recognise that it's my phone ringing. I've had a couple of quick hacks in Advanced Config, but nothing major or that will affect performance or battery life yet. As mentioned earlier, I'm going to run the phone just like this for a coupel of weeks, and see how the new ROM stands up. But so far, I'm mightily impressed!

No comments: